Pages

Monday, 14 August 2017

Poetry Monday

Poetry Monday was started by Diane of On The Alberta Montana Border (you can find her in my sidebar).  Diane thought Mondays needed a little jazzing up.  She was right.  Procrastinating Donkey (you can find the donkey in my side bar too) joined in.  I couldn't resist.  We need more players.   Please join in...write, read, critique, share your thoughts.   We love it.   This weeks theme is 'modern conveniences'.   I totally ignored the theme this week.  No, I lie, I didn't ignore it.  There just wasn\t a poem in me about modern conveniences this week.  We had a Lulu of a storm the other day.  That inspired me.

Night Sounds


night sounds
creaks and squeaks
little rattles
at the windows
sighing in the trees
then
a moment of silence
deep
profound
eerie
that wakes the sleeper
makes the listener
raise his head from off his bed
and strain, strain
to hear
what's coming next
drumming
thrumming
relentlessly humming
with wet fingers
strumming
the song of the rain
beating upon the roof
dripping from sodden branches
gurgling in the downspouts
smattering against the glass
joined
in the melody
by the wild
shriek
of the wind
the night song
the symphony
of the rain



Did you manage to come up with something for the weekly theme?  Did you free style like I did?  Let us know.  We want to read.

11 comments:

  1. Love the tension in your poem - and the sound of the rain in the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many times I've been conscious of the momentary silence right before the rain comes pelting down. It's like the earth itself is holding its breath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely description of rain anticipation:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a quietness before the rain, isn't there? And your description of the rain makes me think of a guitar being played - the melodic part of the rainstorm symphony. Nice one, Delores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my word, this is beautiful! You've described it perfectly. Both the sounds. And the feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel the anticipation of the coming rain in this one, well don Delores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You described it so well in your poem, Delores.

    I love a summer rain and the lovely smell it leaves in the atmosphere. We though, are having too much rain accompanied by the loud, ear drum shattering thunder. My cats are not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. excellent portrait by poetic words of a beautiful rain and all beauties that come along .
    lovely read indeed

    ReplyDelete
  9. From my memory sound of rain upon a tin roof is exquisite. Loved your poem.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.