Pages

Friday, 21 July 2017

What's For Dinner?

Wednesday night it was Beef Bourguignon.  

This is everything you need to make it.  Well, and a little water and a whole lot of patience.

5 medium onions sliced
4 tblsp oil
2 pounds lean beef cubed
1 1/2 tblsp flour
1/4 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
bouillon
red wine
1/2 pound mushrooms sliced

cook onions until tender
 I would suggest using half the oil and saving the other half for....
remove onions from pot
put beef in pot (with the left over oil)
sprinkle with flour and seasonings
brown the beef
it's getting there.
add 1/2 cup bouillon and 1 cup red wine
and simmer slowly, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Phew.  Adding more bouillon and wine as required to keep meat covered.  The recipe advises 1 part bouillon and 2 parts wine.  That can add up to a LOT of wine so if you don't want it too strong, just use your better judgement.
 Return onions to the pot and add mushrooms.
Top up your liquid if required.  Simmer for another 1/2 to a full hour stirring occasionally and keeping an eye on your liquid levels.  Especially if you are drinking any of that wine.
If you want it a bit thicker, just add some cornstarch mixed with a little water and simmer a tad longer.
Serve in hand thrown pottery bowls.  They make everything look and taste better.
I put it on rice but noodles are just as good.

By this time your kitchen looks like this....

Because you have been cleaning up as you go...right?  And, if your husband is anything like mine he will say, "Now that was a nice easy meal for you to prepare on such a hot day, wasn't it?  Bless them, they haven't a clue.

I'll forgive him because I have lots left over in the fridge for tomorrow night and all I have to do is warm it up.

That beef was so tender.......OMG it was good.

21 comments:

  1. The long slow cooks make everything tender and savoury don't they? And hooray for left-overs. Known in this house as perpetual meals as I alter them a little each time I reheat and reserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It probably wouldn't be the same with NO wine, so I'll give this a miss instead of a try. I just don't like the flavour of wines. And I also clean as I go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's just stew without the wine..I don't put in as much as they advise

      Delete
  3. Awe had a lot of patients in hospital....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad to see your sense of humour is alive and well this morning...

      Delete
  4. I wish you could substitute Scotch for the wine (I'm allergic to wine not scotch) LOL. Always wanted to taste this dish. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up substitutes for red wine in cooking and this is what I found:
      Best Non-Alcoholic Substitutes for Red & White Wine | Kitchn
      www.thekitchn.com/simple-nonalcoholic-substitutes-for-red-and-white-wine-tips-fro...
      Apr 13, 2015 - White grape juice - Use white grape juice as a substitute when you want to add sweetness, or deglaze the pan. For a punchier substitute, try mixing a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice per cup of grape juice. Chicken or vegetable stock - Substitute stock for white wine when you want to add depth of flavor to a dish.

      Give that a try.

      Delete
  5. It looks and sounds like a very tasty meal, should be an easy recipe for Cindy to follow. ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you could help by saying things like my husband said, yes?

      Delete
  6. The cookerer in my house has never prepared a two hour meal, mostly because she cooks from google on her phone on the counter. She does make a pretty mean "beef and mushrooms" over mashed potatoes. The beef is good hamburger, and she cooks a couple of potatoes in very small pieces and mashes them for the bottom of the bowls. The recipe is pretty close to yours, sans wine. I think we eat out of bowls 6.75 nights/week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our percentage of bowl meals is probably pretty close to yours...I do a lot of soups, stews, casserolds and salads that are bowl and living room friendly. We used to eat all meals at the table like civilized people but retirement has had an affect on us.

      Delete
  7. Sounds yummy! Yeah, my hubby doesn't realize how much time I spend in the kitchen, either. :)

    My favorite wine to cook with is Marsala, and just about any meat prepared with that wine and lots of mushrooms is heavenly. When we were visiting our friends in Tennessee recently, we went to dinner at an Italian restaurant one night. I order the chicken Marsala. (I prefer veal, but hardly anyone serves that any more.) Anyhow, talk about a huge disappointment. If there was a drop of wine of any kind in that dish, I'll eat my smelly slippers. The sauce tasted like yukky beef gravy. (NOT what I want on my chicken!)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing more disappointing than paying for a treat that you could have prepared better yourself.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, that sounds so delicious. I could actually cook that. Needs wine, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I laughed at your husband's comment :) And adore anything that makes leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything I can get a "no need to cook" meal out of is tops with me.

      Delete
  10. Hi Delores,

    That's just the sort of meal I like. And I do have a clue because Penny has taught this multitasking dude how to cook all sorts of stuff :)

    Gary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Penny is so talented...I'm not surprised she is teaching you how to cook. This is a great recipe..it makes lots so you can have a wonderful meal, have leftovers, freeze some... Because it is cooked so long you can use a slightly tougher cut of meat which makes it less expensive.

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.