Pages

Thursday, 22 June 2017

Don't Fence Me In

I've been thinking about fences a lot lately.  Ever since our neighbour put a fence up between us where none had existed for the past 31 years that we've lived here.  These folks have been here about four years now...long enough for them to decide that we're Mexico I guess.  We've never set foot on their property and the most intrusive we've been is a friendly wave.  Our yard is neat and tidy so there is nothing warranting screening.  I guess they just like fences.  They put one up on the other side of their property as well.  It wouldn't be quite so bad if they had finished our side of the fence but it is NOT finished and when we step out our side door it looks like the inside of a wooden berry box.  (I hope I'm not the only one old enough to remember those.)  
The back yard is totally enclosed in a mish mosh of fencing put up by various neighbours on either side and behind..there are actually three houses behind us (which tells you how big our yard is).  The back line is also screened by a number of tall cedars.  I know why the folks to the east of us put up a fence...they had dogs as do the people behind us....but again, our neighbour to the west, they of the 'love of fences' have no real reason to fence it off...just an antisocial attitude.  They also have a gazebo in back with black out curtains hanging all around it.  We sit on our deck out back with no protection from neighbours glances and frankly, we seldom look over at any of them.  We just sit and talk, read, knit, look at our gardens and mind our own business.  
Now the folks across the road from us have put up a mile long run of fencing across the back of their property and along one side between them and their neighbours to the west.  Everywhere you look, fences.  High fences, low fences, wood fences, metal fences.....all over the place....fences.  Is it just me or are people starting to withdraw into themselves and this is just the outward sign of it?  
It is not a nice feeling to live all trapped inside these fences.  If I was younger and healthier I would head for the hills and live in the country with just a wire farm fence to keep roaming cattle out.  Or maybe I would just let the cows come through and eat the grass.  It's a dream of mine....these fences, they're a nightmare.

17 comments:

  1. Sadly I think you are right, and people are withdrawing. Community seems to be a disappearing thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tighter we are jammed together the more we desire separation.

      Delete
  2. Supposedly "fences make good neighbors" but our 10 acres is not fenced. It was when when we bought it but Ron took down all the fencing, especially the barbed wire fences. I am happy that two adjoining neighbors have fencing because one raises cattle and the other raises pigs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the saying should be, "good fences make NO neighbours".

      Delete
  3. When my house was in "close quarters" fences gave some privacy, but they are supposed to be put up nice side out...the other way around is just rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The big thing is for 31 years there has been no fence and now you are inside the berry box, Joe is right the right thing to have done would be to turn the nice side out.

    I'm afraid fencing is the normal now, it kind of marks your property as your own, it supposedly keeps children and pets in, but looking at a wooden wall where you once had a view is going to take getting used to, I can see why you are frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither the neighbour to the west or ourselves have either children or pets to contain.

      Delete
  5. As a postscript.......said neighbour to the west is now adding to the top of the fence to make it even taller. The point.....I have no clue. When we sit on our deck we can see over ALL the fences around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not only old enough to remember wooden berry boxes, we still get our berries in them from the store! Want me to send you a few? :)

    We have a neighbour's fence on one side that was put in because they had an in-ground pool. I think there's a law about that. But I kind of like it as it keeps them from seeing my big backside when I'm gardening on that side of the house :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, insurers insist on pools being fenced and locked.

      Delete
  7. Going through those barbed wire fences was always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many a ripped pair of pants thanks to those barbed wire fences...I remember my grandpa called them 'bobbed wire'.

      Delete
  8. I too think that people seem to be withdrawing.
    In certain areas the height of fences is limited and may not be above a certain height.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. From your description of the fence I'm wondering did they put it up the correct way, with the poles and cross members on their side. You should only see the nice part of the fence from your side. Like joeh said it's not only rude but I think it's probably against the law. It depends on the laws where you live. Well, I hope you either learn to like it or are able to do something to make it easier to look at. Time for shrubbery or wild flowers?
    Enjoy your evening.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Possibly, there is something going on behind that fence that you don't want to see.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.