Pages

Friday, 23 June 2017

An Odd Duck

 LORD LOVE A DUCK

An exclamation indicating disbelief and stunned acceptance of the facts.
origin unknown
but the first recorded use in literature is found in "The Wheel of Fortune" by Louis Tracy.


ODD DUCK

No one appears to know how or why or when the expression "he (or she) is an 'odd duck"' originated.   Poor duck, being picked on to represent someone who deviates from the norm in appearance, behaviour or beliefs.

DUCK OUT

I'm just going to 'duck out' of the meeting early.  Originally the term was just, 'duck' with 'out' being added later.  Why?  To give the duck a little class?  Who knows.  The expression came to life in the 1800's.  No one knows why.  Ask a duck.


That's my 'fun with ducks' for the day.  Got any more duck sayings or expressions?  

13 comments:

  1. I'll ask a duck as soon as I find one that speaks English.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is another that rhymes, Blank a duck, but I never use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the Odd Duck came from the story THE UGLY DUCKLING.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love ducks though ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky-duck is one we used as kids. I used "Lord love a duck" once with my kids and they laughed and laughed. I think it ranks as the coolest thing I ever said to them, even today. That right there tells you how uncool I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure we're about equally 'cool'.....ahem.....I don't think they are using that expression anymore either.

      Delete
  6. My hubby is a duck, I mean he talks like a duck, Donald Duck that is. Children love it. If I am down he knows talking like the duck makes me smile. Ducks have always been part of my life from ducks on my grandparents farm, marrying this duck, having a collection of hand carved duck boxes (secret places to store cool things), to feeding ducks at a local pond with grandchildren, and having some wild ducks that visit my neighbor's little pond in the woods behind the house. I like ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The expressions I use as terms of affection are 'ducky-duck', 'ducks', 'my duck' and 'ducky-boots'. I love ducks.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.