We were astonished to receive a letter in the mail advising us that our dehumidifier could be on a recall list. Visit this web site the letter urged. Attached was a copy of our invoice for the unit. The date stamp on it was from 2013. Apparently we have been using a unit for three years that has the potential to start a fire. Well, maybe it could start a fire.
I opened the web site and prepared to follow instructions. (Just a word here to advise that the dehumidifier is in the basement, the computer is upstairs and I have severe osteo arthritis in my hip which makes it pretty darn painful to go up and down stairs.) Okay...so the first piece of advice was to obtain the serial number from the unit. Armed with pen and paper I descended to the basement. It didn't take long to locate the serial number. It was located on the back of the unit at the bottom on a piece of paper approximately the size of a postage stamp and appeared to consist of around 20 numbers written by a fly who had dipped its feet in an ink well and scurried across the paper. Well then.
I toiled back up the stairs to advise the hubs he would need to lift the unit on to a table and I would need a flashlight trained on the numbers while I held a magnifying glass over them and copied them down. (Oh yes, and I have macular edema which gives me little blank spots in close up vision. What fun.) Mission accomplished I, once again, climbed the stairs. I think two or three more steps grew since the last time. Back to the computer I went and plugged in the numbers. Yes, our unit was on the companies 'endangered species list'.
Next step. Go back downstairs and take pictures of the labels on the back of the unit, clip the plug off and write the day and your last name on the back of the unit. Take a clear picture of this vandalism. I felt like a murderer. This unit had pumped out a bucket of water a day all summer long. It had worked hard for us and here I was taking it's life.
Anyway, back up the stairs and after putting the photos on the computer I found that they were not clear enough. Not enough light in the basement. Down the stairs again. For those keeping count this is the fourth time. This time the hubs kept a light trained on the labels and the photos were a success. Now all we have to do is dispose of the old unit at our expense and wait 8 weeks for a new one to arrive. I wonder how many years we'll have it before the manufacturer informs us that it too is a death trap waiting to be sprung.