Pages

Saturday, 22 July 2017

Well I'll Be....

I just love words.  No surprise there.  If you've visited here before, you know that.  Some of the words in our language (English in case you weren't sure) leave me scratching my head.  There are colourful and interesting expressions, one word expressions, that have no known origin.  Interplanetary visitors perhaps?
Take for example the following selection:
Flabbergasted....
I mean, who IS Flabber and why is he/she gasted?
The first recorded use of the term was in 1772.  It means to be shocked or amazed.  It's origin is lost in the mists of time.
How about,
Highfalutin...
I've never said Hi to anyone named Falutin but I've known some folks who WERE (or thought they were) highfalutin.  This term originated in the mid 19th century and might be English in origin.  High English-Fluting equals highfalutin...maybe...
There's always,
Hornswoggle.....
an early 19th century expression of unknown origin which means to cheat someone as in, they were hornswoggled.
Boondoggle.....
Work or activity that is wasteful or pointless but which gives the appearance of having value.
Much like this post of ridiculous expressions.
Originating in the 1930's from who knows where.
Bamboozle....
an early 18th century expression of unknown origin meaning, to trick.
If you've read this far, you've been bamboozled into thinking this is actually going somewhere.  It isn't.  I'm just having fun with silly words.  Funny thing, I actually use those words once in a while and never before did I stop to wonder where they came from...and...I STILL don't know.

18 comments:

  1. I also use most of those words from time to time. And love the richness and the peculiarities of our language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this post has me both flabbered and gasted (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it doesn't have you flimflammed.

      Delete
  3. L I B M R Ducks
    Well I'll Be, Them Are Ducks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over here it's "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle".

      Delete
  4. Flabbergasted is pretty great. Esepcially if you picture Daffy Duck saying it, with lots of tongue. Then it sounds just like its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't us the term "oh golly". We'd use two words. The first begins with "F" and the second is "hell".

      Delete
  5. I SO love words, but I'm flabbergasted that you would use such highfalutin ones. I have to admit you didn't hornswoggle us. And your work couldn't be considered a boondoggle. I certainly don't feel as though I've been bamboozled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have used them all as Words for Wednesday prompts.

      Delete
    2. Im going to get reinvolved with W for W. I so loved it!!!

      Delete
  6. Well it appears I have been bamboozled and I am guilty of using words like this without knowing their origins, this was a fun post Delores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fun post, Delores! I was going to suggest these words for Words for Wednesday but I see you beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a good post. I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like it w.as a day for reflection. Good memories keep the heart light. We all need those days from time to time. I enjoyed your post very much.

    ผลบอล

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.