Pages

Thursday, 15 June 2017

Cat Got Your Tongue?

Cat got your tongue? is usually applied to a person who appears to be at a loss for words.  There are two possible sources of this saying.  One refers back to the English navy and the habit of whipping miscreants with a cat o' nine tails.  Apparently the pain was so bad it rendered the victims speechless.  The other possible source is an ancient habit of cutting out the tongues of liars and feeding them to cats.  I don't think I'm ever going to use that expression again.   Just the thought of it makes me want to gag.

9 comments:

  1. If I have to choose, I'll take number one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shama, my female cat, is sitting here on my desk beside my keyboard and she said she definitely hasn't got my tongue - she's got her own and that's enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another old saying I haven't thought about for a long time.
    I prefer 'rendered speechless'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes you look at that saying a lot differently.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to say, "Let us possess ourselves in silence." It saves whip-wielders and tongue-extractors a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jimmy is correct. He says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gagging here, too!

    At least I don't need to worry about our cats eating anyone's tongue. They're too fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loose more then words...Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not nice thoughts or deeds !!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.