Pages

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

"What Larks"

It was 'neighbourhood exchange' weekend over the long holiday weekend.  An opportunity to put out to the curb things you no longer want or need (along with a 'free' sign of course) and an opportunity for your fellow citizens to cruise the city looking for treasure in your trash.  
We had a few things to put out.  Nothing too exciting.  A few old resin lawn chairs that had seen better days but were still sturdy, a matching table, a set of Mopar glasses, cushions for the chairs, kids toys and a magnifying lamp were the stars of the collection which should give you an idea of how humble our offerings were.  
Everything went out by 5pm Friday night with the plan to throw out whatever was left over on Saturday night.  Around 8pm a van/suv type vehicle pulled up out front.  A young man (college age I would think) bounced out and came galloping up the driveway waving his hands over his head at us as we sat watching from the living room window.  The door bell rang and I answered.  Could we have the chairs he wanted to know...were they really to be taken.  I assured him he could have the chairs and anything else he wanted.  He galloped madly back down the drive still waving his arms over his head.  Three more enthusiastic young me exited the car.  We watched as they bounced around our trash heap like excited bunnies in a carrot patch, laughing and exchanging high fives with each other.  The trash pile went steadily down.  One last look and one last wave at us and they bounced back into their vehicle and took off.     "What Larks, Pip"  "What Larks"

16 comments:

  1. 'One man's trash is another's treasure' in happy, hand waving, lolloping action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All but the chair cushions were taken away...the cushions went in the bin. All in all, worth the effort in putting them out and listening to the hubs complain about it.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the day I put out a tv stand in excellent condition after my daughter bought me a bigger one with more storage. I put it on the path and as I walked up my steps a young couple stopped their car and loaded it in the boot. big smiles all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a satisfying feeling isn't it....both the giving AND the getting.

      Delete
  3. Reminds me of a time my husband put our old refrigerator out front with a FREE sign. The fridge worked but we got a new one and thought someone could use it. There were no takers. Then he put a sign on it $50 and it was immediately purchased. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every Thursday is large trash night in my neighborhood. Thrash pickers drive around looking for scrap metal which they then turn into cash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish our municipality would start this up again. They had it once, for a Clean Earth initiative, and that was it. Taxpayers were happy, the scrap metal guy was happy, the landfill people were happy ... but the town wasn't happy. It seems to me this is more important than some of the other things they spend our money on!! Ahem. *large cane whisks Donkey and her rant offstage*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What was the towns argument with it? It sounds like a win/win to me.

      Delete
    2. It cost too much, according to them. Now if we want to get rid of anything that won't fit in a regular garbage bag, we have to take it to the landfill ourselves, or give/sell it some other way. It seems ironic to me that they did it once for Clean Earth Day, then gave up! We live on a cul-de-sac so there isn't much traffic to see anything we might want to put at the curb to give away.

      Delete
    3. How on earth could it cost them anything....homeowners lug it out....other homeowners take it home....the rest gets put into garbage bags or taken to the dump. If anything, it saves money as the dump doesn't get so full so fast. Municipal government....a wonderful thing.

      Delete
  6. This sounds a great idea.
    It is so true one person's trash is another one's treasure!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most amazidng stuff gets taken.......boggles the mind....but I'm glad someone wants it.

      Delete
  7. That's great. I would love it if someone could use some of the junk in my house.

    And I could really use a nice chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Key word being 'nice'....none of ours were.

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.