Pages

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Using Wednesday's Words

Words For Wednesday is  a weekly writing prompt which can be composed of words, music, pictures...anything that may bring inspiration.  This weeks prompt is supplied by Lee of Kitchen Connection (you can find her in my sidebar).  Why not join in?  Use the prompts any way you like to fire your imagination to write poetry, prose, fiction, non fiction...the sky's the limit.

This weeks words are:
ludicrous, activity, rebellious, sceptical, acknowledge, begrudge
and/or
philosophy, foolhardy, advantage, flawless, discovery, canopy

Here goes:

The four little faeries living under the canopy of the ancient oak (Moonlight, Sunbeam, Starbright and DayDream by name) could not agree.
“Simply ludicrous,” chirped Sunbeam, “a civilization of giants living beyond the great Oak.”  Moonlight and Starbright were sceptical as well.  “And,” sighed Starbright, “your foolhardy notion of venturing into uncharted territory beyond Mother Oak can only lead to disaster.”  Starbright could always see the potential for disaster.
DayDream struck a rebellious pose (not easy for someone only two inches tall).  “I acknowledge it has an element of danger but surely you don’t begrudge me a little adventure.”
Sunbeam smoothed her flawless golden hair.  “There will be no advantage to this activity DayDream.  Even if you make the discovery of a race of giants who is to say they will be friendly.  It may be their philosophy to crush all small, flying creatures.  You know we aren’t much bigger than a dragonfly.”
“Daddy, Daddy,” whispered Amelia, “I just saw a faerie.”

John smiled.  His daughter had some fanciful notions at times …but… a faerie.  Now that was simply ludicrous.

10 comments:

  1. I loved this! The words were perfect for fairy story. You know, I kinda still believe in fairies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are soooo quick off the mark.
    The words are still churning round in the cement mixer in my head.
    Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, tis such magic and wonder. The fairies, the wee folks that live with me, tapped me gently, very gently, on my right elbow and told me to check out your story. We are fairy, fairy pleased with your story.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful! And there's room for sequel(s), too ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely delightful Delores. I loved every word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are all very kind indeed..thank you..and Gary...what a delight to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! How wonderful...and it certainly does awaken one's imagination. Well done, and thanks, Delores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely loved this ...
    You must know there's a fairy living at the bottom of the garden! That's what our grand-daughter says!!!

    Well Done

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing I love more that tales of tiny creatures surrounding us. This was a fantastic story. I also like stories about talking dolls:-)

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.