Pages

Sunday, 30 April 2017

Beautiful Flowers

We passed through the grocery store and passed the cooler with all kinds of beautiful flowers nicely arranged with the intent to bring joy to the recipient.  It brought to mind the bouquets of flowers I used to take to my Mom and Grandma (she of the allergies) when I was 'knee high to a grasshopper' as the saying goes.  Beautiful bouquets of daisies and buttercups, chicory, wild phlox and long grasses all tied up with a string of bindweed which, to my young eyes, was beautiful  They would accept them with grace and display them with pride on the dining room table.  (Mom used to take hers outside first and spray them)  A fresh bouquet for each of them every week all the long lovely summer.  Looking back I think of how kind they were to always accept those handfuls of weeds with sincere thank you's.  Man, I'll bet they were glad to see fall arrive (although there were some 'lovely' wild asters come fall).

9 comments:

  1. I remember bringing my mum a bunch of bright yellow "sour sobs" (sops?) and she said they were "wet-the-beds" and I'd probably wet my bed that night. I didn't, but I never picked her anything else after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes as parents we don't realize how what we say to a child can impact them for life.

      Delete
  2. We knew that my avid gardening mama preferred her plants in the garden. I inherited the gardening bug from her but love having flowers in the house. Our own flowers or others...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually (which is a surprise) don't like cut flowers in the house. Now that IS odd now that I think about it.

      Delete
  3. I always feel guilty accepting cut flowers because I know I will kill them quickly. But I do appreciate the thoughts behind the gift and receiving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't last long and after a very short time the water they are in stinkls.

      Delete
  4. I think your mom and grandmom probably thought those wild flowers were the most beautiful thing of all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of cut flowers, either, but I love the thought behind it, especially from my kids - or my dad. When he was alive and mobile, he brought me mayflowers for my May birthday for many years. They have the most beautiful fragrance. The thought makes me weepy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy the many flower displays you often see out shopping.
    I do like to see floral displays, and it is lovely to receive a bouquet every now and again ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.