Pages

Sunday, 5 March 2017

Shedding A Little Light

We have just switched over to LED lights in the house.  The bulbs are a little pricey compared to regular bulbs but they pull a fraction of the power and are supposed to last for years.  Here's hoping.  There are a few places in the house, like the basement, where we seldom venture so the bulbs have not been switched out there.  Maybe later.  Hopefully we'll see a difference in the hydro bill next month.  In the meantime, the new bulbs shed way more light than the old ones.  We shipped the 60 and 100 watt incandescent bulbs off to the Restore here in town.  They sell salvaged household building supplies and appliances and the proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity.
This whole procedure has left me in awe of just how many sources of light we have in this tiny little house. We would need another eight bulbs and one LED fixture to move totally to LED lighting.  Perhaps in time.  I'll need to save up again for a bit.

9 comments:

  1. It is horrifying when you realise just how many lights there are isn't it? We have a combination here. A few LED lights, some long-life bulbs (which aren't) and a few few incandescent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are down to the one halogen fixture and the eight incandescent bulbs. Give us a little more time and we'll get them all switched over.

      Delete
  2. I like LEDs, I have LED torches and lanterns for when we have blackouts, they're battery operated. I'd love to switch to LED for my room lighting, but have to first make sure I can get the right globes for the fittings I have. Changing the fittings is out of the question. I think so anyway, I'd have to ask my son-in-law, he has an electrician's certificate, so he'd know. I have only six inside lights and one on the front porch.
    I agree with EC about the "long life" bulbs which most definitely aren't. I find I change them now at least once a year, where in the past a good incandescent globe would last five years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new led lights come in all shapes all shapes and sizes.

      Delete
  3. When I bought LED's for the new fixtures in the new bathroom in the old house, I realized I should have stepped down one, from 100 watts to 60. They are so bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE need all the light we can get. Unfortunately it really shows up the wrinkles lol.

      Delete
  4. I resented the nearly-forced move to CFL bulbs so I stocked up on the old kind before production was stopped. We had almost enough of them to carry us through to LED lights, which I like very much. The CFL's always seemed dim to me, and I need good lighting to compensate for poor night vision. I never thought of replacing old bulbs before they burned out, but then again there's no place to take the old, still useful ones around here. I hope you see a difference in your bill but how long will it take to pay for the LED bulbs you had to buy?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will take a quite a while no doubt...but....my eyes are aging and the hubs is 3/4 blind and needs all the light he can get. The LED's are really a LOT brighter than the incandescents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so nice to have a bright light - but we have found that they don't always last as long as it says on the label!!!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.