Pages

Tuesday, 14 February 2017

Do You Remember?

Care to take yet another stroll down ‘memory lane’ with me?  Who here remembers horehound candy?

Horehound came in approximately 6 inch twisted sticks about an inch thick.  It was bitter and it was sweet.  It was delightful.   I’m not sure where Dad got it but every so often he would come home from work with a small brown paper sack of those heavenly twisted sticks.  He would put the sack on the breadboard and smash it a few times with the broad side of a hammer.  Much the same treatment he used for peanut brittle.  Oooooh, peanut brittle.  The stuff they sell now isn’t nearly as good.  Just recently I found out that the candy store here in Guelph makes it from scratch and it is much more like the peanut brittle I remember.  Lovely and smooth and buttery with delectable chunks of peanut.  Mmmmmm.  Oh, and that makes me think of MacIntosh toffee.  It was sold in a little flat tartan printed box.    Okay, enough of this.  I’m starting to crave sugar and I don’t want to….hey, remember humbugs  oh, and scotch mints and those round chocolate covered peppermint patties, and cherry blossoms?      

16 comments:

  1. Jersey Milk chocolate bars. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever we visited my Grandparents in Aurora they would have one of those in the fridge for me.

      Delete
  2. Cut it out I am drooling. Happy Valentines I wish I had some of those memories right now:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never had horehouse lollies/candy here, but we did have and do have horehound soft drink/soda. I loved it when I was a kid. I've not had a horehound in years and years. I might just buy myself one next time I'm out shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horehound soda....I don't believe we have anything like that.

      Delete
  4. I do remember them, not sure I ate them. I kind of remember them in a rectangular shape and they were caramel like...I'm probably wrong. Do remember the name though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The difference with the made-from-scratch peanut brittle is probably the real butter, I doubt very much that big commercial production uses real butter, they'd have a cheaper substitute and those of us with tender taste buds can taste the difference for sure.
    I remember MacIntosh toffee and peppermint patties. We still get peppermint patties, but they are a bit smaller now and more than twice the price at $1 each. I'll look for MacIntosh toffee next time I'm in the city, just to see if it is still around. I can't be eating any, toffee would probably rip out my fillings (*~*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can enjoy them in memory...it's almost as good as having one in my mouth.

      Delete
  6. I don't think I have ever had horehound candy, but it is never to late.

    I hope you had some candy for Valentine's Day, Delores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to love toffee and fudge ... but no more!
    I do still have an enjoyable square of dark chocolate (85%) with an evening coffee every now and again.

    Hope everyone had a great Valentine's day

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Candy was so much better when we were kids. Not full of all the artificial crap that's in it now. My dad couldn't pass up peanut brittle. His eyes would light up like a little kid when he saw it. I prefered Atomic Fireballs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Atomic Fireballs......wow.......what are those like?

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.