Pages

Sunday, 5 February 2017

All In A Nights Work

Some nights I can’t sleep.  Sometimes I know why and sometimes it’s a complete mystery.  I do know why I couldn’t sleep last night.  Actually, there are a few reasons:
I spun the mattress and it felt different
I’m doing a cleanse and my tummy felt different
It was cold and I was too lazy (stubborn) to get up and get another blanket.
At any rate, I put my wakefulness to good use by thinking.  “What did I think about?” you ask.  Oh, I know you didn’t but I’m going to tell you anyway.  You know I am so you may as well relax and prepare yourself to be bored.
Here it is, the topic of my nightly rambling;
Will Seniors Ruin Canada’s Economy?  A dissertation by someone who’s ‘only slightly confused’ most of the time.
You see, according to Stats Can more than one in six people in Canada is over age 64.  They don’t tell us how many more because Stats Can doesn’t like to bother Canadians with too many useless details. 
Here’s what I’m thinking.  Every one of these ‘more than 1 in 6 people’ has been spending money since they were old enough to squeeze a quarter.  We’ve amassed a boat load of ‘stuff’ in the process. …tons of stuff actually.  Now, 1 in 6 people are thinking seriously (if they haven’t already done it) of drastically downsizing.  They (okay, we) are looking at apartments, condos, smaller houses, trailer parks……and wondering what the heck they are going to do with all this ‘stuff’ they have amassed.  Sure they can sell one car, sell the house, that’s easy but what about all this ‘stuff’?  You know the stuff I mean.  Two full bookcases of books, four TV’s, three bedroom sets, a rec room full of furniture you haven’t visited in several years, three sets of china, the list goes on.  The ‘stuff’ must go.  These folks (1 in 6 you know) have stopped buying.   They don’t need anything.  They don’t want anything.   A good portion of them spend half the year in another country to escape Canadian winters.  They aren’t spending their money in Canada.  They have passed on a lot of their ‘stuff’ to their kids.  Now the kids don’t need anything.  How are we going to keep our manufacturers, importers and retailers in business?

And then I finally got to sleep.

20 comments:

  1. I did this over the summer. I called an auctioneer, who hauled it away and auctioned it off and gave us half. We made a pittance, but so what. It was gone. We didn't need a bonfire, we didn't need to search out someone who wanted collections of this and that and convince them to buy. We just pointed and the men put it on the inventory list and moved it out. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that as well....let an on line auction house look after it. A pittance...yes indeed....but it's gone. Still more to go.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, since you asked ... we're going to need walkers, wheelchairs, orthotic shoes, modified clothing, grabber sticks, bibs ... and a whole lot of young people to look after us when we can't feed ourselves, other youngsters to compound our medications, nurse us and doctor us; also, senior apartments, nursing homes, wheelchair accessible buses and taxis, modifications to existing homes to make them more accessible with ramps, wider doorways, lower counters ...

    Wait, did you really want to hear about that??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But think of the employment!! (And the retail possibilities)

      Delete
  4. One of the biggest symptoms of Fibromyalgia is not sleeping. I would love to lay down and wake up the next morning feeling refreshed. I wake up and can't fall back to sleep so I read on my phone with a black background with white letters. It's easier on the eyes and makes me sleepy after awhile. Needless to say I do a lot of reading!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you suffer from Fibromyalgia. My daughter has the same problem.

      Delete
  5. LOL, why is it that we try to solve all the world's problems when we're sleepless? Often I find it's best to just get up and do something--otherwise I lie awake worrying about things and making myself less sleepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too lazy to get up......puzzling seemed the next best thing.

      Delete
  6. That's definitely something to think about, although the real effect, if it continues that way, probably won't be fully felt for a few generations yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a vision of the planets surface buried under 'stuff'.

      Delete
  7. The heat is giving me sleepless, restless nights here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I very slowly rid my life of stuff, I think why did I ever think I needed most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not nice when we can't sleep ... I find it best to quietly get up and have a cup of tea.

    But thanks for sharing your thoughts here

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I drank something I would NEVER get to sleep lol.

      Delete
  10. I had not thought of that, we seniors have amassed a lot of "stuff" and now are downsizing. Sometimes I put nice things in front of my house with a "free" sign and they disappear right away. Yikes, now you remind me people must buy things to keep the economy lubricated. Hello from your southern neighbor in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here. Canadians thoughts have been with you all the past few weeks.

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.