Pages

Tuesday, 24 January 2017

Tiny Treasures

A few years ago we attended an auction sale for my husbands Aunts possessions.  The house had been in the family for over 100 years and there were several generations worth of items spread out on the lawns for people to look at and bid on.  One of the batches I bid on contained, among other things, his Aunts knitting needles.  More shame on me, I just tossed them in the bottom of my knitting hamper and carried on as usual.  Today, in a search for a crochet hook of a particular size, (for the purpose of working in loose ends on my latest creation) I came across the following:  one wooden crochet hook, 1 pair of bone knitting pins (very short compared to today's pins) and three pair of stainless steel knitting needles.  Who knows how many generations used those tools before they came to me.  I feel I need to honour them somehow...both the tools and the women who cared for their families and created much needed articles of clothing with them.




19 comments:

  1. I remember my mom using one of those hook things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crochet hook Joe .... this one is made of wood of all things

      Delete
  2. I have, and treasure, the bobbins my mother used in making lace. I didn't keep any of the knitting needles - perhaps because I cannot knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gran used to do something called 'tatting' which is very much like lace making but with little plastic 'tags' instead of bobbins.

      Delete
    2. Mum did that too, before she taught herself bobbin lace. Which she assured me was much more complicated and much more satisfying.

      Delete
  3. I have knitting needles I haven't touched for years, thin ones I used with fine yarn for making baby matinee jackets and bonnets. I may as well donate them to the local Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one in the family lies to knit that you could pass them on to?

      Delete
  4. Are you looking for a way to show or display them? They would be striking in a frame (or a shadow box). Or are you planning to use them? Nice things to have, either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the moment they are stuck in a skein of yard in a sort of garden type urn/vase thingie .... I think they deserve something better.

      Delete
  5. You made me remember my mom's needles and it has put a lump in my throat. . I could have passed them on to my granddaughter who loves to knit.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The women folk always had some 'small work' in hand didn't they?

      Delete
  6. Treasures. Bet you are glad now that you bid on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I inherited a family collection that filled a very large, very battered Lincoln Log carton. I distributed most of it to daughters and granddaughters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All similar items that once belonged to my grandmother are long gone. Sadly....but there is no one left other than me who would appreciate them now. When I head off tripping the light fantastic, I might just have to take everything with me because I've no one to leave it to...or anyone who is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this takes me back to memories of my Mums knitting and my Aunts crocheting ... alas I'm hopeless.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.