Pages

Saturday, 28 January 2017

The Monster Down The Hall

My desk is a beauty.  At least, I think she is.  Yes, she's a she.  She has cupboards and drawers, a light, a pull out tray for the key pad and plenty of work surface.  I love her.  There is just one little problem though.  She eats things.  A letter written addressed and stamped, my favourite pen, the all important (at least for my ageing eyes) magnifying glass, important papers..these things have been known to disappear for days..sometimes forever.  Late at night I think I hear chuckling and I wonder what she's hiding on me now.  Things also magically appear, apparently out of nowhere, although I think perhaps the hubs may be responsible for some of that.  His favourite line is, "Oh, I put that on your desk."  There are days when I can't see the top of the desk for the pile of items he has put there 'for safe keeping'.  Hah!! Safe keeping indeed.  Nothing is safe from the 'monster down the hall'.  She's not evil you understand, just mischievous.   Now where.....

14 comments:

  1. I am certain that quite a lot of 'inanimate' objects delight in making liars out of us. I am pretty certain that one of our cupboards is home to a black hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to be able to blame the hubs for most of the magical appearances and disappearances but no....some of it is definitely the desk lol.

      Delete
  2. I envy you that you have a desk to begin with!

    Although it sounds like it would be just one more surface where "stuff" would land ... just like the counters and tables ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's odd; usually it's washing machines and clothes dryers that eat things. And puppies.
    I'd love a separate desk, luckily my all-purpose dining table is up to the job of being both desk and table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a sock disappear for months and then, just the other day, I pulled it out of the washing machine with the load I had just washed. ???????

      Delete
  4. The pencil jar on my desk once swallowed my favorite nail clippers--for four years! I had to move for it to return them to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lose things all the time and I live alone so my items must be targets of the ghost in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an old desk from many generations ago that has so many drawers and secret hiding places (you seriously need a combination to figure some of it out) that i know something is in there but it takes forever to find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness....I would love a desk with secret compartments.

      Delete
  7. I try to have a home for everything and everything in its right place!
    Well I try LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see a Stephen King novella about this. The desk that comes to life!

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.