Pages

Wednesday, 25 January 2017

That's A Corker

Corking.  Does anyone remember corking?  Maybe you called it something else.  Spool knitting maybe?  Okay..corking….a cylindrical piece of wood or plastic with a hole lengthwise through the middle and four to six pegs around the outside edge of the hole.  You dropped yarn down through the hole and then wrapped it around the pegs.  Once ‘loaded’ with yarn you then proceeded to ‘knit’ from the pegs and pull the finished tube like ‘knitting’ down through the hole.  When you got tired of knitting you cast the stitches off, sewed your tube into a circle and gave it to your mom to put hot pots on at the table.  Ringing a bell now?  You can see a demonstration of it on YouTube. 
The hubs tells me that he had a corking spool when he was a kid.  He made his own out of a big empty thread spool and some finishing nails.  That’s the 50’s for you.   Kids knew how to make their own fun.  I’m embarrassed to admit I had a store bought one.

Anyhoo….after the kidlets showed an interest in knitting I started thinking about how I got started in crafting in general and, how I got started, was with ‘corking’.  Imagine my delight to find that Costco had kits with a corking spool, yarn, a ‘picker’ and some instructions on how to make simple things.  I bought two for the kidlets.  I’ll give them to them on Valentines Day.  That’s coming  up soon y’know.

14 comments:

  1. I have some (very) vague memories of it. I cannot remember what we called it - which is nagging in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We called it tomboy stitch (at least in South Australia). We used empty wooden cotton thread reels with nails hammered into the top.

      Delete
  2. That was something I never did or have done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a store bought wooden spool, too; mine was painted red ... probably poisonous paint ... and I think we called it spool knitting. I can't remember ever actually finishing anything with it! Somehow it didn't click with me. There's a similar device now with many, many pegs in a circle that you can use to make hats. It's made of plastic. Of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my grandmother was familiar with this craft. I will have to google it to bring back memories. Can't wait to see what the kidlets do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the process, but don't remember what we called it. I do remember several groups of girls all busily working at their home made spools, to see who could make the longest tube.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knobby knitter, we called it. You might also look into potholder frames and sock loopers to weave with. My two youngest grands recently made me half a dozen potholders for the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I had a homemade one when I was a kid and so did my girls when they did. Now I want one to make hats ;0. They will love it. Costco eh?. hug B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Corking, to me, means opening a bottle of fine wine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At that time of my life we didn't knit. We crocheted a lot. I learned how to knit when I was early highschool years, and was awful. So, uncorking is a new word to me. Sounds interesting, and doable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like fun. I tried to learn to knit once (as an adult!). It's not easy to learn...especially when you're trying to learn from a YouTube video. I should've started with corking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although I never tried it, nor knew what it was called, it sounds cool. Is it relatively easy...as in easy enough for me to give it a whirl???...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Must admit when you said corking I thought wine!

    But yes, I do remember this type of knitting ... a niece of ours loved it ... I must ask her what it was called, I think it's French Knitting or spool knitting!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.