Pages

Monday, 2 January 2017

Cutting The Cord

We were astonished to receive a letter in the mail advising us that our dehumidifier could be on a recall list.  Visit this web site the letter urged.  Attached was a copy of our invoice for the unit.  The date stamp on it was from 2013.  Apparently we have been using a unit for three years that has the potential to start a fire.  Well, maybe it could start a fire.
I opened the web site and prepared to follow instructions. (Just a word here to advise that the dehumidifier is in the basement, the computer is upstairs and I have severe osteo arthritis in my hip which makes it pretty darn painful to go up and down stairs.)  Okay...so the first piece of advice was to obtain the serial number from the unit.  Armed with pen and paper I descended to the basement.  It didn't take long to locate the serial number.  It was located on the back of the unit at the bottom on a  piece of paper approximately the size of a postage stamp and appeared to consist of around 20 numbers written by a fly who had dipped its feet in an ink well and scurried across the paper.  Well then.
I toiled back up the stairs to advise the hubs he would need to lift the unit on to a table and I would need a flashlight trained on the numbers while I held a magnifying glass over them and copied them down.  (Oh yes, and I have macular edema which gives me little blank spots in close up vision.  What fun.)  Mission accomplished I, once again, climbed the stairs.  I think two or three more steps grew since the last time.   Back to the computer I went and plugged in the numbers.  Yes, our unit was on the companies 'endangered species list'.
Next step.  Go back downstairs and take pictures of the labels on the back of the unit, clip the plug off and write the day and your last name on the back of the unit.  Take a clear picture of this vandalism.  I felt like a murderer.  This unit had pumped out a bucket of water a day all summer long.  It had worked hard for us and here I was taking it's life.
Anyway, back up the stairs and after putting the photos on the computer I found that they were not clear enough.  Not enough light in the basement.  Down the stairs again.  For those keeping count this is the fourth time.  This time the hubs kept a light trained on the labels and the photos were a success.  Now all we have to do is dispose of the old unit at our expense and wait 8 weeks for a new one to arrive.  I wonder how many years we'll have it before the manufacturer informs us that it too is a death trap waiting to be sprung.

Yes, that little white label with the teeny tiny numbers at the bottom of it...yes, that IS the serial number.

19 comments:

  1. OMG! What an ordeal. We have a dehumidifier in out basement, but I don't know how the manufacturer would ever know to notify us of an issue. We bot it t Lowes and don't think it was registered with the manufacturer. Now you have me worried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll find you. They will send out a notification to all the stores that buy from them. The stores keep copies of receipts and they will notify the clients....also, they will very likely make an announcement over the media as to the year/make/model and how to contact them.

      Delete
  2. Holy Moly! Well, I think that was a good day's work. I hope you sat down with a cup of tea to recuperate. Let's hope you don't need a dehumidifier before March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually only need it between May and November

      Delete
  3. Echoing the other comments. And yes, a cup of tea would definitely be required. Your expense to dispose of it doesn't seem fair though. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #5014550212424200160
    Yep. My glasses appear to be working just fine.
    When the new dehumidifier arrives, copy down the number and take the same photos right away, before you install it in the basement. Stick it to your fridge with a fridge magnet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually surprised I could see the numbers so well, since when I'm reading books and newspapers the print is slightly out of focus and I'm overdue for new glasses by about a year.

      Delete
  5. P.S. I agree you shouldn't have to pay for the disposal of a faulty unit. It should be sent back to the manufacturer at their cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...especially as our lives have been in danger for the past three years.

      Delete
  6. here in Ohio, USA our electric company picks up used appliances and gives credit up to fifty dollars back on your bill, and dehumidifiers are twenty-five, we can also take them ourselves to the recycling plant for free, but why would you? ha
    on another note, large washing machines of a certain name brand created mold inside the machine because of a front loading rubber gasket on the door, guess what the customer gets; a fifty dollar rebate for a new washer from the same company, how can that even be legal?

    love your blog, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it here, visit often. That rebate deal sounds a tad under handed to me.

      Delete
  7. I soooooo understand!!!! I love it when I'm trying to fix some gadget by phone (computer, wireless, etc) and have to run from one part of the house to the others. I was lucky, no stairs.

    Now I wonder about my dehumidifier...not googling that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing had happened in the three years we ran it, I doubt anything would have happened.

      Delete
  8. Here is a little information on the unit if anyone is wondering about their own equipment:
    Units: About 3.4 million (in addition 850,000 were sold in Canada)

    Description: This recall involves 25, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, and 75-pint dehumidifiers with the following brand names: Airworks, Alen, Arctic King, Arcticaire, Beaumark, Comfort Star, ComfortAire, Continental Electric, Coolworks, Crosley, Daewoo, Danby, Danby Designer, Dayton, Degree, Diplomat, Edgestar, Excell, Fellini, Forest Air, Frigidaire, GE, Grunaire, Hanover, Homestyles, Honeywell, Hyundai, Ideal Air, Kenmore, Keystone, Kul, Midea, Nantucket, Ocean Breeze, Pelonis, Perfect Aire, Perfect Home, Polar Wind, Premiere, Professional Series, Royal Sovereign, Simplicity, SPT, Sunbeam, Sylvania, TGM, Touch Point, Trutemp, Uberhaus, Westpointe, Winix, and Winixl.

    Incidents/Injuries: Midea has received 38 reports of smoke and fire. About $4.8 million property damage has been reported. No injuries have been reported.

    Sold at: Lowes, Menards, PC Richard and other stores nationwide from January 2003 through December 2013 for between $100 and $300.

    Manufactured in: GD Midea Air Conditioning Equipment Ltd., of China

    ReplyDelete
  9. There have been dehumidifiers in my life, but, gratefully, not one on a recall list. That I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You wrote that so funny that I had to laugh. Sorry you had to go through all that, but it sure made a good story

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life can be a bit worrying at times!
    Annoying too, in the fact that you had to keep on going up and down!
    And then you have to pay for the faulty equipment to be sent back / disposed ... Good Grief!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.