Pages

Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Ahead Of Their Time

Young folks think they are sooooo cool with their texting shortforms, their lol's and rotfl's.  But we oldies were shortforming years ago.
When I heard my mom say, "Young lady you get yourself in here PDQ." I knew she meant 'pretty darn quick'.  ASAP has meant 'as soon as possible' for as long as I can remember.  My dad used to say GD if he hit his finger with a hammer.  When I asked him what that meant he said 'general delivery'.  I was never too sure about that one.  We had TGIF and BFF long before smart phones came along so, young folks, get over yourselves.  You are just finally catching up with your grandparents.

8 comments:

  1. Shortforming was forbidden in our house. My father had a particular aversion to it, 'if it is worth saying then All of it is worth saying' was the cry. I shudder to think how he would have reacted to txt spk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard "mind your Ps and Qs" but never knew what that meant until a friend explained in high school. Ps meant please, and Qs meant thank yous.
    We didn't have any short-forms at our house. I think my parents didn't know any, having grown up in Germany, so we didn't learn them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of that, but I guess every generation has their own talk and letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not too much of it is spoken that I don't understand. Much of the abbreviating is done on those phones glued to their fingers, amongst themselves, and we don't need to bother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta admit I like anything that saves time. But I value good communication over all else. There's a time and a place for both forms of writing. The young 'uns aren't really trying to save time as much as they are trying to keep their stuff incomprehensible to old 'uns, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know ... I'd never thought of it that way.
    But yes, I guess every generation does have their own 'text type letters'.

    All the best Jan

    (or should it be atb Jan ?)

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.