Pages

Monday, 12 December 2016

What Do You Love Most About Christmas?

All my life I've loved everything about Christmas starting with the story of the Baby in the Manger all the way to the highly commercial and glitzy floats in the Santa Claus Parade.  I love the shopping and wrapping and cooking and decorating.  I love the colours, the sparkle, the lights and smells.  The food, the family the fun....Santa Claus...elves...reindeer...I love it all. I love the excitement of meeting the mail man at the door to see if there are any Christmas cards for us.   I love the musty smell of old ornaments dragged up from the basement in a box with damp spots on it and the layer of dust on the tree stand that makes you sneeze.   I love the loose needles on the living room carpet.  It all makes me smile.  Torn paper and stray bows and gift tags that get lost and you don't know who gave what and you don't really care....little fingers tearing and tugging....little people coming to your knee with a sweet smile and a "this one is for you grandma.  I picked it out myself.".   At our age though, I think the very bestest (I don't care, it IS a word) thing about Christmas is the memories it brings back.  All the people I've loved and miss so much are with me on Christmas Day in my heart.  On this one day of the year my entire family..all of them..no matter how long they have been gone from me...on this one day...they are all here with me sharing Christmas.    What's your favourite thing about Christmas?

22 comments:

  1. Everything.

    There is not another time like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the one time that many people do strive for a season of peace and goodwill. Not always successfully, but the effort is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. If only we could hold on to that all year long.

      Delete
  3. For me it's the glittery and shiny decorations everywhere and the food. The one time of year that I allow myself to make and eat things I don't eat the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to indulge once in a while and Christmas is the best excuse of all.

      Delete
  4. Has to that stuffed and contented feeling on Christmas day's evening watching the flames dance in the fire and feeling at peace with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a special time....the hush after the hubbub dies down.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE Christmas. It's so beautiful and exciting. It's just all the WORK that goes into it that I hate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The anticipation of Christmas and the rush, rush, rush is fun and exciting. However, I do enjoy the days right after when things have settled and friends and family can sit awhile and enjoy each other's company.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The joy, the beauty, the memories and being with loved ones...totally love Christmas in every way.
    Midnight mass is magical and a reminder of what Christmas is, too~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Religious services are a very important and mystical part of the season....they increase that feeling of mystery.

      Delete
  8. Exactly what you said! I couldn't have said it any better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy quite a bit of it, but I'm always so tired by the time the actual day is finished, I've been known to say I like the day after the most ... it's when my husband and I get a chance to relax. But in actual fact, I do like many things, even the shopping and wrapping - and the crafts I make for the sale. It's always good to see extended family, the tree looks and smells good, and the food can't be beat ... plus, leftovers!! I'm happy you talked about it being the day that all the people no longer here are in your heart. I hadn't thought of it that way, and maybe it will temper the melancholy that is part of Christmas for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one year I was feeling pretty blue so I cut out little stars...one for every member of both my and the hubs families and all our pets ... everyone.... living and living on another plane of existence .. and wrote their names on them and placed them on the tree. As I did I could feel the warmth gather around me and from then on I always felt all of them near to me on Christmas Day.+

      Delete
    2. December is always somewhat difficult for me for the same reasons. What a comforting idea. So wise.

      Delete
    3. Oh, what a good idea, Delores.

      Delete
  10. Oh, the words you used could be mine. I love those things as well. I love the memories of past Christmases, the special cinnamon rolls, my smiling family...so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As we get older it is the memories that we cherish so much at this time of year.

    For me now, it's being able to enjoy the excitement, the merriment, the magic as the grandchildren fully enjoy and embrace the wonder that this season brings.

    It is so important to keep on making good memories ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.