Pages

Wednesday, 7 December 2016

So Long Ago



When I was a kid (Oh Lord, here she goes) Christmas boiled down to the three F's; family, food and fun.  Gifts were a nice touch but not the most important thing.
Through the two weeks leading up to Christmas and especially the two weeks after Christmas we had lots of family visitors.  Aunts and Uncles and Cousins would drop in to admire the tree.  Family friends (I classified them as Aunts and Uncles as well) also visited, admired the tree and stayed for coffee and snacks.  It was a fun time.
Christmas day was all about family.  The little house was full with two sets of grandparents and one Great Grandmother as well as ourselves.  The house was like a closed universe for us that day.  Everything that mattered was within those four walls.  I can't begin to describe the feeling of safety and security and warmth and love that existed in that house at that time.
When I married and started my own family the location of Christmas changed to our house and the focus of the universe became our child.  She too had two full sets of grandparents and TWO great grandparents.  We maintained all the old traditions of family, food and fun.
Of course, nothing can stay the same forever.  The universe wobbles and wanders off its orbit, suffers catastrophe and disaster and reforms itself into something brand new every so often.  Come Christmas we will again close the doors and enclose a universe that does not bear much resemblance to the universe of old, but still, it is OUR universe and we cherish it.  The little ones are the sun, their mother is planet earth and orbiting on our crusty and gimpy way around the whole thing is one full set of grandparents (us) one other grandfather and a couple of satellite moons of dear friends.  We will have family, food and fun.
When Christmas day draws to a close, when the mess is cleaned up, when the children are snuggled all safe in their beds I will lay my head down and I will attend that Christmas so very long ago.  I will walk through that dear old  house once more, touch the bottle brush wreaths hanging in the windows, gaze with admiration at that spruce Christmas tree in the corner with its two or three strings of lights that used to cause such a frenzy if one went out, I will brush the sleeping faces of my parents and grandparents and I will be home.  As long as I can remember I will never lose them, never lose that feeling of safety and security and warmth and love that existed in that house at that time.

16 comments:

  1. I do so love your memories, every sentence speaks of warmth and safety surrounded by love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a special time and one that I try to recreate for my grandies as best I can.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Delores, this is just beautiful. You have soooo captured the feelings of my childhood, surrounded by family and friends at Christmas time. We didn't have a fireplace, so my brother and I would hang a sock (yes, a sock) under the marble top of the coffee table. In the morning, they would be bulging with an apple, an orange, some nuts, and a couple pieces of candy. And they tasted better than any other apple, orange, nut or candy we might have any other time of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one thing we all seem to share is the love of family and friends on that special day of days. Everything else takes second place.

      Delete
  3. I envy you your childhood Christmases. It was only my father, mother, and sister when I was a kid. When I married, I went with my wife to visit her family for holidays, and sometimes there would be fifty people for dinner, and I just loved it. Now that we live far away, it’s just the two of us and our three cats, but that’s okay now, but I wish I had had something different when I was a child and needed people so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow....50 people for dinner. I don't think I KNOW 50 people lol. The most we've ever had on Christmas day was 9 and that was a full house for us.

      Delete
    2. Relatives add up, especially the ones who are Catholic and actually obey the church's teachings on birth control. It might also have added to the number present that Peggy's Granddad often took everyone out to eat at Middendorf's Fish House on the shore of Lake Manchac (he lived near Hammond, Louisiana).

      Delete
    3. Fish house? I'd have been there for sure. Nothing wrong with a little seasonal bribery lol.

      Delete
  4. Delores, you said and felt so much of what goes through my mind and heart!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are of a generation who saw and felt the magic that is in Christmas.

      Delete
  5. How beautifully you have written what was in your heart and echo's what is in mine, too...thank you 🎄💖🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could recreate the feelings and excitement and happiness of those days for our grandies.

      Delete
  6. Your memories are so lovely, Delores. Mine are not dissimilar. Christmas was always about family (who are now mostly gone) and today it is again about family but of the new generation. We are so lucky to have those memories and fortunate to be making more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness, what a wonderful post ... I am reaching for the tissues!

    Growing up Christmas was always about family, food and fun - and it still is. The only problem can be the family may move too far away and you cannot always get-together over Christmas. Our Christmas and seeing family and friends seems to start at least two weeks before Christmas and goes on well into the New Year. I'm not complaining it all makes for the most wonderful Christmas Season...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.