Pages

Friday, 2 December 2016

Everyone Welcome

Everyone seems to want to come to Canada.  Even our neighbours to the South are investigating life on our side of the border.  It's like we have a sign flashing over the Great Lakes or on one of the many majestic peaks of the Rockies....."Come On Over...It's Much Better Over Here".  It has got me to wondering, just What Is Canada.  I mean, okay, Canada is a lot of land bordered by water on three sides and the Excited States on the fourth but, that's just WHERE we are not WHAT we are.
What is Canada exactly that makes it different from anywhere else.  We have our government debacles just like everyone else.  Our national economy pops up and down like a jack-in-the-box just like yours, where ever you may presently be.  Are we any different or any better?
We are a conglomeration of nationalities, colours, religions, political leanings and sexual preferences held together with the intent of peaceful cohabitation.   Sometimes we fulfil our potential, sometimes we don't.   It's a pretty tall order to expect this many people spread over such a large land mass to always agree. The best we can hope for is that we all allow each other to have our own opinions.  Sometimes we accomplish this and, again, sometimes we don't.  The trick is to not stop trying.
I think what Canada really is, is a concept.  It's a free floating, ever changing, constantly evolving concept.  It's a really great concept.  So....if you want to be a part of it.  Come on over.

11 comments:

  1. As far as politics and people go, you're not different at all; but your country, the geography, topography or whatever you may call it, is vastly different to what I know here in Australia. Much greener, much wetter. Australia has its own beauty, so I can't say Canada is more beautiful, but I wouldn't mind spending some time there. Just not in your autumn/winter months. Possibly not your early spring either. I like cold, but not that level of cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can have some pretty sever weather depending on which part of the country you are in. Vancouver isn't so bad.

      Delete
  2. I think the everyone welcome thing is what makes you different. Too many countries are closing their borders. And making some of their citizens feel second class and less than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those of us who call ourselves Canadian can trace our ancestry to all the four corners of our round globe...in our house we have England, Ireland, Germany, France, America all represented in us.

      Delete
  3. i think that many Americans think that Canada is a much less volatile place to live. The best thing, though, is that Trump will not be your president. Many of us are very afraid of what life will be like after January 20th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us Canadians are frightened for you as well.

      Delete
  4. I mentioned to my husband just the other day..."let's move to Canada!"
    I was only joking...but I'm worried about our country's future.

    I really enjoy your blog~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine it is very much a 'waiting game' for all of you right now. Wait and see...fingers crossed it turns out okay. I'm glad you are enjoying your visit to my tiny corner of the world. Drop in any time.

      Delete
  5. Canada is a country I would like to visit ... it is so vast and offers so much to the traveller.
    Husband Eddie would make a beeline for the good fishing lakes!

    Slightly early but I'm sending good wishes for a Happy Weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too early for a sincere weekend wish....same to you.

      Delete
  6. I think (as a fellow Canadian) that we are extremely lucky to live here. I never take it for granted, either. And perhaps it's easier for Canada to be open to newcomers because we're pretty much newcomers ourselves, all of us. And we have so much space to share. When I think of how crowded many European countries are, I understand how they felt overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people pouring into their countries recently.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.