Pages

Saturday, 10 December 2016

A Little Glimpse

When I was young we lived in the country.  Most of the houses out our way were set well back from the road at the end of long, treed driveways, or lanes, as we called them; and were barely visible from the road.  Sometimes you could see their lights glimmering through the trees.  We knew these houses and the people in them.  We visited back and forth.  There were no surprises here.
What I really liked was to visit my grandparents in Aurora or my uncle and his family in Oak Ridges.  To get there you had to drive through the towns.  Coming home in the dark I would sit with my face pressed to the glass of the truck window watching for a glimpse into another world.  Hurtling through the dark (or so it seemed to me) we would pass houses, some of them with their curtains open and their lights on.  Little glimpses of the lives of strangers would be afforded.  A family at table, an older person in a big chair reading, sometimes children in their pyjamas eking out a few last moments of freedom before the bed sheets claimed them.
My favourite time of year for this was Christmas.  Not only was there the display of lights outside but there was the glimpse of the family Christmas tree through the window.  Pretty much everyone put their tree right in the window.  I would ooh and aah over the beautiful lights, comment on how tall this tree was or how fat that one was, and wonder how big the pile of presents underneath  their tree would be on Christmas morning.
It reminds me of a promise I made to myself those many long years ago.  I promised myself that when I had a house of my own I would always have my living room curtains open at night with a light on, especially at Christmas, for the benefit of any little girls out there who like to look out the car/truck window for a glimpse into another world.
I still gaze out into the darkness hoping to catch that glimpse; and yes, I keep my promise.


19 comments:

  1. Good times, good tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After we were married and before we had a house we used to drive around the city to see the lights ... and wish.

      Delete
  2. I have the same promise to myself. A home of my own with a suitable window WILL have a Christmas Tree in that window. It hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Christmas wish for you, is that you find that house and that window.

      Delete
  3. We always went for a drive on Christmas Eve to look at the Christmas trees in people's homes. With the benefit of hindsight I realise that it allowed my mother (who stayed home) to get some last minute tasks done, but it is a lovely tradition. And we still do it. And when we have a tree it is also on display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I expect that was a welcome respite for a lot of Moms.

      Delete
  4. We do that peeking in the window Christmas tour also. When we have our granddaughters with us, it is even more magical. My tree is in my front window. It is one of the reasons I bought this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a tiny glimpse into someone else's world.

      Delete
  5. It is a good thing to carry on traditions, for the children to remember and repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice thought, that the tradition may be carried on.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful and beautiful memories of looking at Christmas lights in the night...magical as ever, no matter one's age. We always have candles lit in our living room and dining room windows, electric of course, no matter the season. Christmas lights are everywhere at our house~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've likely made a lot of folks very happy.

      Delete
  7. Lovely! I love looking through other people's windows and this time of year is wonderful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect for it. A dark night, a starry sky, and a peek inside someone's windows.

      Delete
  8. "It reminds me of a promise I made to myself those many long years ago. I promised myself that when I had a house of my own I would always have my living room curtains open at night with a light on, especially at Christmas, for the benefit of any little girls out there who like to look out the car/truck window for a glimpse into another world."

    Oh goodness at Christmas, we do the same ...

    Keep the Christmas magical feeling ...

    It's so important for the little-ones

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful memories this brought back for me a little girl driving around and looking into houses and Christmas time to see the lights and trees. Thank you for bringing that back to me.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.