Pages

Friday, 9 December 2016

A Christmas Memory









 A Christmas Memory



Tiptoeing through the darkened living room,  lit only by the faint beams of the moon shining through the slats of the venetian blinds, she took care not to look at the Christmas tree looming dark in the corner for fear of ruining any surprises in the morning.  
From the black hole of her parents bedroom door came a sleepy whispery question, “What are you doing up?”
“Sorry Mom, I had to go to the bathroom.  I didn’t look.  I promise.
“All right.  Go back to bed now.”
It was still dark when she realised she just couldn’t stay in bed any longer.  Not for one more minute could she lay there.  Grabbing her gifts for Mom and Dad she ran into their room and piled into bed with them gifts and all.  “It’s Christmas, it’s Christmas.” and they had to wake up.  Every year since she was old enough to know what Christmas was this had been the routine.  Take Mom and Dad their presents first thing.  Then, and only then, was it truly Christmas.  After much admiring one of them would gently remind her that Santa had come and  there just might be a sock hanging on her doorknob.
The sock, a long brown stocking that Santa snitched from her dresser drawer, would always have a tangerine in the toe, a little ornament for her windowsill, some candy and perhaps a small toy.  This too was taken to her parents bed to open and admire and to have the tangerine peeled so they could all share it.
When all three of them had admired what Santa brought they got up, put on their housecoats and slippers and went out to the tree to see what else Santa may have brought.  One year it was a checker game.  Another year it was a game where you put together an insect out of small plastic parts.  Tiddly winks was a big hit one year. 
There would be breakfast eaten under duress.  Who wanted breakfast when there was sock candy to eat?  Everyone had to get cleaned up and dressed in their Sunday best.  Then she ran over to her grandparents side of the house to give them their gifts and to show them what Santa brought.  There was always a small gift from Grandma and Grandad and some homemade rolls with homemade jam.  Almost as good as sock candy.
The other Grandparents arrived just as quickly as they could get themselves ready.  They had to drive from Aurora and they must have gotten up very early because they were never later than 9:00am.  Grandparents understand how hard it is to wait for those fascinating boxes under the tree.  The Grandparents on the other side of the house came over then too and everyone sat around the tree to open the family gifts.
It was a long, lovely day.  There was so much food to eat.  Moms wonderful Christmas dinner, bowls of nuts and fruits and candy sitting out all over the house, Grandad from Aurora always brought her a box of chocolates which were shared with everyone. 
At the end of the day, when everyone was tired and full and warm and happy the tree was lit, the lights were turned off in the living room and they all sat and gazed at the tree as it glowed darkly in its corner.  Another wonderful Christmas.  All her Christmas’s would live forever in her heart.

18 comments:

  1. I love your Christmas memories. I remember always getting a German banknote (Deutschmark) which we exchanged for "real" money when the banks opened again after Christmas. Mum said they were from Grandma in Germany who loved us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are determined to yank on my heartstrings aren't you?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. All my Christmas memories were happy ones. I was/am so blessed.

      Delete
  4. I love these Christmas memories. I've so many myself that are stirring within. Your blog brings me so much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You painted such a lovely picture of your memories, Delores. I remember the tangerine in the stocking and there was aways a penny in there too. I never liked the walnuts that Santa included, but oh, how wonderful was that candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roaming through these old memories gives me the warm fuzzies.

      Delete
  6. Christmas memories are the very best and your memories are lovely. I am so happy that you are sharing them here with us 🎄❄☃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope you all aren't getting tired of it...because.....there\s more.

      Delete
  7. You've jogged a memory for me ... the year I took my watch and flashlight under the covers and woke up every hour until I couldn't stand it any more either! It was only that one year that I remember being so antsy. You do have lovely Christmas memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG the flashlight under the covers bit. Wasn't that fun? Okay, maybe not Christmas Eve but the rest of the year. I used to smuggle a book way down under the covers where I hoped Mom wouldn't find it and then I would snuggle down in my blanket cave with my flashlight and read. I hadn't thought of that in years.

      Delete
  8. I'm really enjoying reading your Christmas memories.
    Thank you for taking time to share them with us.

    Looking forward to more.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dust those old memories off every year and take a little trip down memory lane. It has been fun to share them here.

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful and very well written story. I felt like I was right there with the little girl in her home. You are truly lucky to have these memories in your heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Twas a long long time ago but it feels like just yesterday.

      Delete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.