Pages

Tuesday, 13 December 2016

A Christmas Cat

Are you tired of my Christmas memories yet?  Sorry about that.

.  We adopted Nick late in his life, he was eleven, and we had him until he was 18 years old.  From the very first Christmas it was apparent this was his favourite holiday of all.  The minute the tree went up he established his nest under it.  No matter how high the presents piled up he would scooge around until he had made himself a comfy nest amongst them.  We always bought him Christmas presents..usually something stuffed with catnip and complete with sound effects.  I would wrap his gifts and stick them here and there among the others under the tree.  Nick would sort through everything carefully, find his gifts and make a separate pile of them.  His naps would always have him curled up with his head on one of his own gifts.  He never preopened (unless he was better with scotch tape than I think he was) and on Christmas morning he took his turn opening gifts with the rest of us.  So cute.
One year we returned from  a shopping trip during which we had purchased some gifts for Nick.  I tucked my purchases safely away and our daughter tossed hers on her bed to wrap later after we ate.  As we sat at table I heard a thump and a jingle.  "Beth" I said, "I think Nick may have found his Christmas present and has decided to have it early."  Sure enough Nick was laying on his back in Beth's room with his legs wrapped around his newest acquisition and on a catnip high.  There was no separating him from it...she would have to go shopping again.  Lesson learned; wrap the cats gifts right away.
His last Christmas found Nick a lot slower but still very interested in the tree and the gifts.  When it came time to put the ornaments away he made the rounds of the packing boxes and rubbed up against each and every one.  Unbeknown to us, he was saying goodbye to his most favourite time of the year.

16 comments:

  1. More tears.
    Thank you. I am really not looking forward to the first Christmas without Jewel. She loved the wrapping paper, she loved boxes and she always claimed a sliver of turkey breast...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick has been gone now for, oh my goodness, at least 18 years now and thinking of him still brings tears to my eyes. Your little Jewel will always claim her little spot in your heart.

      Delete
  2. Nick sorted and made a pile of his own gifts? That's the most clever cat thing I've ever heard. I love him rubbing up against the boxes to say goodbye, that just chokes me up. What a wonderful cat.
    Angel doesn't like toys or catnip :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since all his gifts smelled strongly of catnip I don't think it took much creative thinking on his part...but it sure was cute.

      Delete
    2. Such a wonderful memory of your very special pet. They are such a part of our family. My little girl loved Thanksgiving. She never bothered me when I was cooking, but as soon as that turkey went in the oven and the smell went through the house she spent most of the day howling and running back and forth to Christmas. We just had our third Thanksgiving without her and still the tears flow when the turkey cooks.

      Delete
    3. And probably always will. They do wrap themselves around our hearts.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, you sure are touching the hearts of all of us who have had that pet who was (is) so special to us. What a love you had for seven years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like he is still with me. He was my best friend.

      Delete
  4. What is it about cats and Christmas trees. My cat had made himself a tunnel and a nest at the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem attracted to them...possibly the smell of outdoors on them.

      Delete
  5. As soon as I can see through these tears...I am going shopping for my daughter's three cats so they can be as lucky as Nick was with his caring family...such a lovely and touching memory. Nick...St. Nick, per chance~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this last night and, being tired as well as very moved, couldn't see through the tears to reply. Nick sounds like such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, how sweet!!! I've heard of cats terrorizing Christmas trees but never making a nest under them! That's all we can really do--give little animals a happy life while they're here. My dog mostly ignores the tree, but we do let her help unwrap gifts...so now when she sees me wrapping them she gets excited. She doesn't mess with them once they're under the tree, though, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my ... as Jenny said what a sweetheart.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.