Pages

Monday, 28 November 2016

The Shopping and the Wrapping

Years ago.  So many years ago.  Christmas shopping was so simple then.  Mom would take me out to the five and dime store where we would pick up Christmas gifts for me to give to Dad and my Grandparents.    It never varied; socks or hankies for the men or sometimes a box of cigars for Grandad Peters, I can't remember what we bought for the Grandmothers.  The gifts were always something that would be used, practical things usually, except for the cigars.  Cigars came in nice flat little boxes.  White Owls sticks in my mind.  When I got old enough I was allowed to help with the wrapping.  "Put the tape here." would be the instruction, or, "Fold the paper like this."  Do you remember the Christmas stickers and gift tags from the early 50's?  You licked the stickers.  At the end of a wrapping session your tongue was glued to the roof of your mouth.  One memory stands out crystal clear.  Grandads cigars were wrapped and Mom said I could put on the stickers and the tag and then she wandered away to put on the tea.  I covered the entire package with stickers.  You couldn't see the wrapping for the stickers.  Mom mentioned that there was no need for so many but it went under the tree just like that.
When my Mom passed away and we were cleaning out her closet Dad told me to take all the wrapping papers home with me as he had no intention of gift shopping and wrapping ever again.  I did as I was told.  A few years later, desperate for some paper I dumped out the bag of wrapping supplies.   This is what I found:





I can't remember when we last used these stickers to gift wrap.  Moms hands were the last to touch them as she frugally stored them away.  "You never know when you might need them"...I can hear her now.

9 comments:

  1. There were collections like that in my mother's home too. And in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These must bring forth so many memories! I don't remember stickers that had to be licked, but do remember self-adhesive stickers that are still available now. I don't like them much, I prefer a tied on gift tag.
    I don't remember my mum keeping anything like this, she did save the wrapping off gifts, but it got used again and again until it fell apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh golly....the 'saving the paper' routine. I think we did that for a while and then gave up on that idea. However, we always saved the bows.

      Delete
  3. I am curious as to whether you will use them or just hold on to this wonderful find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept them for a while..looked at them...touched them....took photos of them and then....I sold them.

      Delete
  4. I hate wrapping, I always cut 1 inch short or 6 inches too long. I do remember those stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buy the paper with the graph markings on the back....lay your item on the graph side of the paper......it's easy to see then how much to cut for yourself. It's the only way I have any success with the wrapping.

      Delete
  5. I'm not the best wrapper ... it's definitely easier with two so the other can hold the paper in place while you get the tape!

    Lovely memories again from reading your post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.