Pages

Monday, 21 November 2016

The Latest

Every Christmas has the latest and greatest toy craze.  I remember the year it was Cabbage Patch dolls.  It was the only item on our daughters wish list.  When I saw them in the stores I was all set to pick one up and put it away for Christmas but the hubs....he of the procrastination gene...said "no need to get it now and have it laying around in the road for weeks.  There will lots just before Christmas."  Yeah..right!   By Christmas there wasn't one to be found in the city.  His mother stood in a line up for hours and finally snagged one where she lived.
One year the Furbie was the latest and greatest.  Cute little guys that slept and woke and talked and generally drove you batty.  It was a big hit for about a week and then the batteries were pulled and it was tossed in a storage bin.  Even the kids couldn't stand it.
This year the big draw is something called a Hatchimal.  Imagine my surprise to find it is nothing but a Furbie on steroids.  It comes in an egg that, with a little encouragement from your body heat, hatches into a Hartchimal.  You can then teach your Hatchimal to walk and talk and sing.  Like I said, a Furbie on steroids.  Two weeks after Christmas I can guarantee you'll be pulling the batteries out and crying 'uncle'.

15 comments:

  1. There is always one. And too often they require batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the Cabbage Patch craze and was very happy when neither of my girls wanted one. Years later was the Baby Born craze and my grand daughter wanted one and got it when she was five.
    These days I try to always give gifts that don't require batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Hatchimal but then again I am back to buying Duplo blocks for my granddaughter. My girls still have their Cabbage Patch Dolls:) HUG B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our girl sold hers in a garage sale...go figure...after all that effort to get it.

      Delete
  4. i remember well when my husband stood in a long line to get two Cabbage Patch dolls for my daughters. They did love them and played with them long after Christmas. The next year there were plenty to buy but they were no longer a hot toy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My granddaughter's Christmas list does not include electronics. But, then, I have not see the lists she prepared for her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the Cabbage Patch Craze, and actually I wanted one. Guess it's because Barbie came of age during my childhood and although many of my friends had their Barbie's, I had my Barbie replica. Never have been able to let go of that. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many reviews advise not to waste your money on Hatchimals. They don't actually speak (like Furbies did) they record your child's voice and just play it back - endlessly!!! Rubbish that costs a bomb because it has become the latest craze, the must-have toy this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some how I escaped any of these Christmas "must haves" just lucky I guess. There is an Arnold Swartzanagle movie on this very theme that I keep meaning to see but never have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on TV a few days ago...pretty funny.

      Delete
  9. Christmas will be scarce here.

    I have not seen the latest toy.

    Have a blessed evening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did see this toy advertised as a must have.
    Unfortunately for many they have already gone in some shops and they are not cheap!

    Happy Hunting for them

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.