Pages

Friday, 11 November 2016

Remember Me


My grandpa at the beginning of World War 1


I’m sitting here today and thinking about how much I owe to the men and women who have served our country in the military from the earliest days of our existence to the present.  I have never looked out my window to see tanks and military vehicles on my street; never heard the sounds of gunfire or bombs falling.  I am free to express my opinion on the government, free to follow the religion of my choice.  No one excludes me from any building or ceremony because of the colour of my skin or my choice of attire.  I owe these freedoms to others who were willing to put their lives on the line, some of whom gave up their lives on the battlefield.  They don’t ask much of us…just some respect and two minutes of our time on November 11 at 11 a.m.  They ask that we buy and wear a poppy.  They ask that we remember them.  A small price to pay for our priceless freedom. 








7 comments:

  1. It is Remembrance Day here. Sadly our veterans need more than they ask for. And more than they receive. Many of them come home damaged and they are not yet getting the assistance they need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot it is remembrance day, it just slipped my mind until on my way home I saw people wearing poppies on their shirts.
    I am thankful, but just don't think of those days or people much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By heart breaks when I read of or see a veteran of one of our many wars still fighting the horrors of those wars in their minds and broken bodies. We do not do enough for these brave warriors and there is great shame to that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautifully put. Yes, we need to always honor them and take care of them. It's easy to take the freedoms we have for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very important to remember.
    A very good post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never forget. As we watched our Veterans' Day Parade yesterday, men and women of all ages waved at us as they passed. They have so much more for us that we can possibly understand.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.