Pages

Tuesday, 22 November 2016

Monday morning we took our daughter for her monthly shopping expedition to Costco.  Apparently overnight Mother Nature decided that her brief fling with pseudo summer weather was over and the temperature had dropped to -3.  The wind was howling from a northerly direction.  I watched as the leaves so neatly piled up at the curb for pickup took off down the road, stopped abruptly, changed direction and then repeated the performance.  Okay, maybe the wind was coming from all four directions.  The car door gave me a little resistance as it appeared to be semi frozen shut.  All in all, not  a great day to be crossing the vast waste land of Costco parking lot but hey, a gals gotta do what a gals gotta do.  I stuck my Costco card and my bank card in my pocket, grabbed my cane and locked the car up.  Then, ever so slowly, I released my hold on the car and tested my stability.  Now, I gotta say, I'm no lightweight.  Really.  There's enough of me that I should be able to hold my ground in a fairly high wind.  You have to know that was some wind if it could take me like a para sailor and whip me across the parking lot at high speed.  We latched on to each other, put our heads down and bull dozed our way to the store.  No problem...now all we had to do was get our purchases back to the car across that endless parking lot and get it all stowed away in the trunk without being blown home without the car.  When we finally got home the hubs said, "I'm not leaving the house for the rest of day."  Me neither, and, if tomorrow is like this I'm not going out.

9 comments:

  1. I've experienced winds like that. They blow you into the store in no time flat, then you battle for half an hour just to get back across the parking lot. I've been blown backwards trying to cross a street, but that was 18 years and forty pounds ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst was packing all that stuff into the trunk.

      Delete
  2. At least if you can't make it back to the car you could survive on the Costco food handouts until the wind dies down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got that wind all the way south of you here in Pennsylvania. I also went to Costco and ran in as fast as these old legs could carry me. After two days of this howling, destructive weather, calm has returned. So have all the leaves I raked on the beautiful Saturday we had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leaf pickup was delayed due to the slow start in the leaves dropping. The minute they announced they were holding off for a week, you guessed it, all the leaves dropped. Since then we've been chasing them around the yard and down the road hoping the trucks come soon.

      Delete
  4. We were muskoxen during a blizzard story once. Will never forget it. The rule: stay inside, have loads of food and waters, and some alcohol, maybe. I don't drink, but I hear it is great for internal warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her crew eats stuff as fast as she can get it in the house. No such thing as a stock pile over there.

      Delete
  5. I really don't like winds like that!
    We have had a lot of heavy rain ... talk about bad hair days! LOL!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.