Pages

Wednesday, 30 November 2016

Bringing Home The Tree

Growing up, our tree was always a real tree from the first Christmas I can remember until I was well into my twenties, and yes, still living at home.  A few times we cut one ourselves (just to give me the experience I guess) but mostly Dad would pick one up at a tree lot a couple of weeks before Christmas and leave it outside for a week before bringing it in.  He said he 'needed to look at it a bit'.
He always bought a tree that was way too big for our little house but there was a method to his madness.  You see, no tree is perfect.  There is usually one side of the tree that is a little 'sparse' shall we say.  When Dad cut the bottom off the tree in order for it to fit in without bending at the ceiling and when he trimmed the trunk a foot or so,  (to make room for presents underneath don't you know) there were always several lovely branches that could be used to ''fluff up'  the thin parts of the tree.   Dad would use the brace and bit to drill a few holes in the trunk and insert the extra branches.  The result?  TaDa!  A perfect tree.
In the beginning (gee, just like Genesis) there was no tree stand in which to pour water.  Those came along a few years later.  Dad would nail a large wooden cross to the underside of the trunk which enabled the mighty fir/spruce/pine (whatever the flavour of the day was) to stand up beautifully balanced.   Dad, however, was a man who took no chances when it came to kids, cats and trees.  There was a hook in our ceiling directly above where the tree always stood.  A wire was attached from the tree to the hook. That tree wasn't going anywhere.
At first it was Dad who looked after the strings of lights and Mom who decorated the tree.  As time went by Dad still did the lights but my sister and I decorated the tree.  A few years later, Dad tossed us the lights and said, "Go to it.  Good luck."  To give Mom credit I don't think she ever readjusted any of the decor on the tree which is really saying something because she was a bit of a 'tinsel perfectionist'.
When I hit my twenties I began to be aware of a certain amount of resistance from Dad when it came to anything Christmas, particularly the tree.  One year, when it was one week to Christmas and no evidence of a tree on the property, I took matters into my own hands.  I walked down to the corner lot and bought a tree, the last one on the lot, and dragged it home  slowly and, I might add, painfully, by myself.  Mom and Dad were out for the evening so I leaned it up against the side of the house by the back door and left it there.   In the morning Mom told me the story of their ride home.  They had reached the turn to our street (you know, where the tree lot was) and Dad said "Hey, look at that, someone bought a tree and dragged it home the old fashioned way."  A little further along the street all he had to say was "Hmmm....."  And finally he turned to Mom and said, "You know, I think I know where that tree is going."
The best tree we ever had though, didn't need any fluffing or fixing and was free...yes....you heard me right...it was free.  One week before Christmas and no sign of a tree (sound familiar) and the four of us were crammed into the car of Dads pickup to do the last little bit of Christmas shopping and grocery buying before the big day.  Three of us were determined that we weren't coming home without a tree.  Tree lot after tree lot disappeared in the rear view mirror on the way to town.  Tree lot after tree lot disappeared in the rear view mirror on the way home.  Not one lot passed without being remarked upon by at least one of the female passengers.  Dads blood pressure was rising...our agitation was noticeable.  Finally Dad exploded with, "For Pete's sake, stop badgering me, we'll get a tree okay."  Just at the corner of our street (you know, where the tree lot is) a huge truck loaded with Christmas trees up ahead of us hit a bump in the road and...you know where this is going right....a tree fell off the truck, the truck kept going, Dad stopped and threw the tree in the back and said, "There.  Are you satisfied?  We got a tree."  BEST TREE EVER    That year on boxing day Mom bought an artificial tree and we never had a real tree again.

18 comments:

  1. I loved and could relate to this story! My dad also used to build a tree, although, when he was through, it was far from perfect. We would always tell him that it was nice, but more than once, after being decorated, the tree would fall over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta tie them up....I think Dad must have had a treemendous disaster at one time and learned his lesson well.

      Delete
  2. We always had real trees. And I loved the scent. And they weren't stable. At all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories. We always had real trees, but they are a pain. I remember the tinsel, we threw it in gobs, great fun. I got an artificial after my first three left the house, now we don't put up a tree, we do lights though. We always had the tree in water (an aspirin a day keeps the tree from drying) Without water you must have had needles all over the place after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always had a real tree. I remember one year when Daddy cut the top off one of the trees in the drive. (That must have been a whole discussion with mom us kids missed out on!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they had the discussion before or after. Oh to be a fly on the wall that day.

      Delete
  5. This is a great story to tell and retell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm told I DO tell and retell the same stories...part of getting old I guess lol.

      Delete
  6. Free Tree!! Yay!
    We've had an artificial tree as long as I can remember. They last for years and only need replacing if you want a different size or when it eventually starts to fall apart. It lives in its box in the same cupboard as all the decorations in their boxes. Comes out for a couple of weeks a year, then goes back into hiding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even put ours back in the box. It stands in a corner of my 'office' all year and I haul it into the living room for December.

      Delete
  7. The stabilising hook in the ceiling is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worked a treat and Dad had it lined up so the star hid the wire.

      Delete
  8. Oh, lordy, Delores, this is so funny!

    Those ornaments are just like what we had. And your tags and stickers the other day? We STILL HAVE some of those stickers kicking around with our Christmas supplies. I kind of hate to use them now that we've had them this long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - the ornaments aren't until the next post. I'm skipping around instead of being methodical ...

      Delete
    2. You're reading...that's the important thing.

      Delete
  9. Oh what a great story ...
    We always had real trees, until the year we didn't! I really cannot remember what year that was now!

    Interestingly everyone in the immediate family (six kids) the youngest, who is in his 20's, is the only one who insists on having a real tree - which he and his girlfriend decorate beautifully each year - I must say when we visit them, it is very special to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.