Pages

Sunday, 27 November 2016

An Organized Christmas

Do you have your Christmas cards mailed yet?   We get our few cards out the first week in December to avoid the rush.  Writing out these few cards always reminds me of my mothers annual Christmas Card blow out extraordinaire.  There must have been close to 200 people on her list and each and every card had a short personal note in it.
Most of her cards had  glittery sparkle on them that felt thick and crusty.
Back then you could mail a sealed Christmas card for five cents.  It was cheaper if you didn't seal the envelope.
The dining room table was off limits for about a week as Mom chewed her way through the list and added new people to it.
Mom was what you would call a "considerate poster".  There were no postal or zip codes back then you see, so Mom would separate all her cards into cities, God bless her, and wrap them in an elastic band with a little piece of paper on top that said  "all.......(whatever city it was).  I'm sure the post office thought she was some kind of divine presence.
We would make a special trip in to Newmarket and take them right into the post office rather than letting the mail carrier pick them up at the end of the driveway.  One year she found one of her bundles lying in the snow so she didn't trust the carrier for this very important duty.
Each and every card that came in to our home was thoroughly examined, read and cherished by my Mom.  Every card and envelope was compared to "the list" and addresses were corrected and the name ticked off.  Organized...that was Mom.

The following Christmas the cards would be handed over to me to make gift tags from.  The backs of the cards were saved for grocery lists.  No waste,

5 comments:

  1. I've bought my cards and that's as far as I've got so far. Mine are all local, so don't have to travel far; I'll get them sent after December begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few cards, and will pick up some more. And most of ours are local too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got all of my cards now, but haven't started to write them.
    I try to get them posted during the second week of December, if I can get them done before then ... I'll be very happy.

    I can certainly relate to your story, it was quite similar in our house!

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember my mom and her stacks of cards during the season. I've never gotten into the habit and I feel the lack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember it well. Mrs. C still mails about 120 each year most to people I've never heard of. I think this is a dying tradition. I also remember mom checking incoming, if she did not get a return card two years in a row they were off the list...sort of like unfriending on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.