Pages

Friday, 4 November 2016

A Blast From The Past


Many years ago my parents had a smallish, brown Stromberg Carlson radio .  When they upgraded to a more modern model I was allowed to have the old radio on a table beside my bed. I would have been around seven or eight years of age.  Back in those days children were not usually spoiled with a radio in their room, however, I was sick a LOT and they felt justified in letting me have the radio in my room to keep me company.
The Stromberg Carlson was, as I said, brown with a golden brown mesh speaker cloth and a mica dial cover.  It was a tube radio that had a delightful hum.  Just two round buttons looked after tuning and volume.  The cover on the back let little bits of light escape here and there.
I loved that radio.  During the long nights when I couldn't sleep I would turn it on very very low and sometimes it would lull me to sleep.  I had a marvellous time finding all the different stations.  Sometimes late at night I would find a station in a different language and lay there letting the strange sounds wash over me.
As I got older my Dad presented me with a newfangled transistor radio that ran off batteries.  He took my old Stromberg Carlson down to the barn where it suffered many indignities from the barn cats.  I could still go down all by myself to the barn and turn on my old radio.  I think the cows came to like rock and roll.
When we left the farm the radio was left in the barn.  Years passed, but every once in a while I would think of my old radio.  Sentimental tears would run down my cheeks as I remembered the glow of the dial and its lovely old fashioned hum.
A few years ago the husband and I went to Aberfoyle Flea Market just to puddle about and see what we could see.  In a small booth, at the very back, I could see a familiar shape.  I ran for it. " It's my radio, it's my radio" I was shouting.  I'm sure everyone within 50 yards thought I was a lunatic.  Brown, mesh speaker cover, the mica dial cover was missing, Stromberg Carlson.  "Does it work?", I asked.  It did.  My darling husband bought it for me.  I only turn it on once in a very odd while so I don't burn out the tubes.  I have no idea where I might get replacements.  I would love to find a dial cover for it.



7 comments:

  1. I am very happy for you! I'd do some research on the internet, those tube may be easier to replace than you think, if so get some backups now. Try http://www.vacuumtubes.net/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough just recently to find a gentlemen in town who works on vintage radios and has a repair shop in his basement. He has tubes galore. I also found in this city a museum of vintage radios. Cool place.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect gift from your darling husband. And how nice to find that the tubes may be replaceable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear
    your post made me cry for my transistor that i been having in my childhood and teenage for almost fifteen years and i still miss that lovely precious thing so much because it shared a LIFE with me
    i often used to say that i have tow mothers one of them is radio
    thank you so much for this wonderful post
    god bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking what a shame the Carlson got left behind when you moved away and now I'm really pleased that you found it again. Perhaps do a google search for replacement parts and see what you can find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this story. How sweet! And I'm so surprised it made its way back to you. It feels like it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so nice ... I had a transistor radio that I loved to listen to ... but your story is very special.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.