Pages

Tuesday, 4 October 2016

The High Cost of Eating

Is it just me or is food taking over the family budget?  Between food and the non edibles required to put a meal on the table and keep the house clean and the laundry done it is chewing up (no pun intended) about 20% of our income.  A site I visited on line suggests 10 to 20 percent of your income. There is just the two of us.  We are on the high end of the estimate (granted I am including non edibles in this).  How are families with two or more kids managing?  How are people on minimum wage doing it?  What about seniors trying to survive on government pensions (mostly women in this category I think)?  We've all got to come up with some coping strategies to make our food dollars stretch.  I tend to make vast vats of stews, soups and chili.  I cook big pieces of meat and then slice and freeze it for future meals.  We buy our meat when it is marked down to 50% off and store it in the freezer.     What are you doing to make your food dollars stretch?  Let's all share our secrets and money saving recipes here.  How can we eat healthy and save money?


5 comments:

  1. We too buy our food when it is in season or on special. Or both. And I tend to make mega meals and freeze portions for later consumption. Which can fill the freezer quickly because only one of us eats meat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am fortunate to have a small vegetable garden. A lot of what I grow goes into soups that are frozen and used in the fall and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am appalled at the cost of food. I'm sure it's fair, and people in the food chain are making a living, but I need to look into ways to save.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little pile of produce and one package of salmon fillets (on sale mind you) put me over $60. I'm sure the farmer didn't get much of that. I hate to say it but I may have to start shopping at WalMart for my groceries. And no...I'm not a snob...it's just always so darn busy in there and I'm uncomfortable in crowds.

      Delete
  4. Over $60 for that load of fruit and veg? Holy moley!
    I do pretty much what you and EC do, cook large pots of soup, spaghetti sauce, beef casserole etc and freeze it all in meal sized portions. Thawed and plated with something like rice or mashed potatoes (not the soups)and some sort of green vegetable, it goes further than a chop and three veg. Steak is rare as are sausages, usually I have mince (ground beef)on hand if I want meat and will make patties or meatloaf, both of which stretch out nicely.

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.