Pages

Saturday, 15 October 2016

Oops I May Not Always Be Politically Correct

There are so many pitfalls these days that I have become wary of speaking.  I was raised in a time when certain expressions were used and I truly doubt that any, or at least many, of them were intended to insult anyone.  The latest issue in the news seems to be concerned with certain baseball teams names and logos.  I'm sure there is no intent to slur or insult on the part of the teams and their fans.  The problem is more than likely in the ears of the hearers.  Regardless, if someone is made to feel badly by the use of a word, term or picture we should all make a concentrated effort to not use same.  It's not going to be easy.  If I should slip and use an old time saying or description please forgive me..I'm old and habits are hard to break.  I have no desire to make anyone unhappy.

5 comments:

  1. I grew up with many words that I never thought were hateful or mean. I knew that there was a name for my my ancestory, but I was not offended, I just thought it sounded silly and besides, I was never called that to my face. However, now I know better and if it hurts another person, I remove it from my vocabulary. That does not mean I don't occasionally say the wrong thing and am careless with my words, but I am sorry and am still learning. PC might have gone overboard but so has bullying so we all have to be kinder to each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly and that includes being patient with the older generation who have these words and phrases ingrained and sometimes forget they are no longer appropriate.

      Delete
  2. Arlene is right on. Our children may be the pivot. We stop, they never start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the important thing is to have good intentions.

      Delete
  3. I find it exhausting to have to think about PC catch phrases sometimes, especially those that go overboard with Political Correctness. However, I am in complete Agreement that should it be hurtful to be heard, I try to be sensitive to whoever might be sensitive about the word(s) spoken since my intention is preferably not to do harm to anyone, whether on purpose or accidentally. Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.