Pages

Wednesday, 12 October 2016

25% Less

The tin of tomato soup I pulled out of the pantry advertised itself as "having 25% less calories than our regular tomato soup" in capital letters and bold face type.   Uh huh!  And you know what to expect from 25% less calories don't you?  Exactly, 75% less flavour.
The regular soup had to be coaxed and cajoled out of the can with a spatula.  The new soup rushed out of the can like a claustrophobic out of an elevator.  Not a good sign.
I heated, I tasted, I added Worcestershire Sauce, salt and pepper.  It wasn't bad.

9 comments:

  1. They are sneaky with it too.
    Less sugar generally means more fat and more salt. And more expense.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on the other side of the coin, less fat usually means more sugar.

      Delete
  2. My favorites additives! I have decided most of what is good for you in a can is proportionally less palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is the beginning of soup making in my home. I try to keep it light using substitutes and always add a lot of flavor with the herbs and spices. They are always better than can soups and are fun to make especially when I can get rid of leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it just means 25% less soup. Funny post...and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always prefer the regualr kind, after all it is tomato and as far as I know, they aren't a fatty food. Or high in calories. I never have it plain though, I make it a meal by adding fresh vegetables and four bean mix from a can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooops, typo! regular that should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If a label says 'less fat' it usually means more sugar.
    Tinned soups can be so handy but if you can make your own ... they are extra yummy!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

It's lovely to know someone else is out there. Please leave me a comment...pretty please.